CHIAN CULTURAL AND EDUCATIONAL FUND, INC
THE CHIAN FEDERATION SCHOLARSHIP FUND
DESCRIPTION AND INSTRUCTIONS
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE:
The Chian Federation Scholarship Foundation, one of the Federation’s hallmark initiatives, supports education and the preservation of our Greek heritage and culture, by instilling pride and cultivating individuals who will give back to our community. The scholarship is supported by the generosity ofour dedicated members and friends.
The Chian Federation Scholarship awards funds to students of Greek descent, as well as non-Greek students of Greek and Modern Greek Studies; as well as grants for academic research and publications under the guidelines set by the Chian Federation Scholarship Foundation.
Eligible candidates must demonstrate academic merit, and be in good standing in their current academic institutions and in their communities.
The Chian Federation Scholarship Fund provides financial assistance to:
• Students of Chian descent, who are living in the United States, and are pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies in an accredited academic institution;
• Students of Chiandescent, who are living in Greece, and are pursuing undergraduate or graduate studies in an accredited academic institution in Greece or elsewhere*;
• Greek and non-Greek students studying in Greek and Modern Greek Studies in the United States;
• Individuals or organizations in the form of grants for academic research and publications under the guidelines set by the Chian Federation Scholarship Foundation.
* All scholarships must be compliant with IRS tax laws for scholarships. Our first and foremost goal is to preserve the tax deductibility of our donors whole donation. Therefore, we reserve the right to add requirements at anytime to protect the scholarship as necessary. This will particularly effect all foreign students applying to colleges abroad who will need to qualify not only themselves, but help us qualify the institution they will be attending as well. Therefore, it will be necessary to contact the office and inquire what additional information will be necessary prior to applying.
Funds will be awarded on an annual basis and will be submitted directly to the applicant’s academic institution for tuition relief.
Three to five scholarships will be awarded annually.
Each scholarship amount will range from $1,000 to $5,000.
**The number of scholarships awarded and the amount available to be awarded may vary from year to year.
The Chian Federation Scholarships are awarded based on academic merit. In order to be considered for this scholarship, applicants must:
• Demonstrate acceptance in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at an accredited University (submit a copy of the acceptance letter).
• Demonstrate academic merit by providing a transcript from their most recent educational institution (submit a copy of the most recent transcript or diploma).
• Submit a personal essay (requirements for the essay are included under Application Instructions below).
• Have two (or more) letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf:
o A letterof recommendation from a teacher, academic advisor, or other officer of an academic institution.
o A letter of recommendation from a community leader who has known you for a minimum of two years, and/or a letter from an employer, and/or a letter from an officer of a non-profit organization indicating community service or volunteer services.
• Be available to participate in an interview with the Chian Federation Scholarship Selection Committee, upon request—in person or remotely.
• Scholarship award recipients will be known as the Chian Federation Scholars.
• Applicants selected for a scholarship must meet the following conditions. If any of the conditions are not met, the scholarship award will be forfeited.
• Must provide proof of good standing at the time of application.
• Must commit to participate in a minimum of one Chian Federation event, and make a presentation, or participate in a discussion pertaining to their studies—in person or remotely.
• The application period opens on March 1and closes at midnight on May 15.
• The Chian Federation Scholarship Selection Committee will review all applications and consider the merit of the applicants’ academic achievement, application essay, and recommendation(s). Scholarship decision letters will be send electronically before May 29.